UK Ministry of Defence rejects media allegations against troops

In an appalling attack upon the integrity of Britain's armed forces, troops have been accused of covering up the killing of civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The BBC's Panorama and the Sunday Times claim to have spoken to 11 British detectives, who do not appear to have served on the front line themselves, who claimed that they found credible evidence of war crimes.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said it rejected the unsubstantiated allegation of a pattern of cover-ups.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab told the BBC "all of the allegations, that had evidence, have been looked at".

He said "the right balance" had been struck over decisions whether or not to investigate alleged war crimes.

The new "evidence" has come from inside the Iraq Historic Allegations Team (IHAT), which investigated alleged war crimes committed by British troops during the occupation of Iraq, and Operation Northmoor, which investigated allegations of war crimes in Afghanistan.

The government decided to close IHAT and Operation Northmoor, after Phil Shiner, a lawyer who had taken more than 1,000 cases to IHAT, was struck off as a solicitor following allegations he had paid fixers in Iraq to find clients.

Follow EU Today on Social media:

Gary Cartwright

Gary Cartwright

Gary Cartwright is publishing editor of EU Today. 

An experienced journalist and published author, he specialises in environment, energy, and defence.

He also has more than 10 years experience of working as a staff member in the EU institutions, working with political groups and MEPs in various policy areas.

Gary's latest book WANTED MAN: THE STORY OF MUKHTAR ABLYAZOV: A Manual for Criminals on How to Avoid Punishment in the EU is currently available from Amazon 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WANTE...

Related posts