Posted on Sep 26, 2020
A man arrested in Paris after two people were wounded with a meat cleaver on Friday says he was targeting weekly satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in the attack, Reuters reports.
The two people, employees of a production company that now occupies former Hebdo offices, were in the street having a cigarette break when they were attacked, according to prosecutors and a colleague of the victims.
Friday’s violence coincided with the start this month of the trial of 14 alleged accomplices in the 2015 attack, in which the gunmen killed 12 people. On the eve of the trial, Charlie Hebdo had republished the cartoons.
The police source said the suspected assailant, named only as Ali (pictured), was from Pakistan and arrived in France three years ago as an unaccompanied minor.
A judicial source said the suspect’s custody had been extended on Saturday morning. Under French law, he faces a formal investigation at the end of the process.
A suspected accomplice was released on Saturday but three others were arrested, including the suspected assailant’s brother. By Saturday evening, nine people were in custody including the suspected attacker.
A second suspect was also detained moments after the attack and prosecutors were trying to establish his relation to the attacker. He was released without being charged, the source said.
Al Qaeda, the militant Islamist group that said it was responsible for the 2015 attack, threatened to attack Charlie Hebdo again after it had republished the cartoons of the Prophet.
Follow EU Today on Social media: