Posted on Apr 05, 2020
French President Emmanuel Macron has condemned Saturday's knife attack in the town of Romans-sur-Isère in south-eastern France, describing it as "odious" and said the incident, which has left at least two dead, would be fully investigated.
The attack occurred on Saturday morning in the town of Romans-sur-Isère, in the Drome department. Mayor Marie-Hélène Thoraval confirmed that two people had been killed, according to France 24. Thoraval said that at least four others had been wounded by the assailant, who targeted people shopping for food, Reuters reported.
"My first thoughts are with the victims and their relatives," Thoraval wrote in a statement posted to Twitter, noting that the attack took place at around 11 a.m. local time.
The unnamed man had no documents with him and claimed to be a Sudanese national born in 1987, the anti-terrorism prosecutor's office told the Associated Press. The prosecutor's office is looking into whether the man had a terrorist motive, though has not yet launched formal proceedings identifying it as a terrorist incident, France 24 reported.
Witnesses told Reuters that the man appeared to be attacking people at random and did so in several places while moving around the town center. According to the Associated Press, the man attacked staff and shoppers in a tobacco shop, a butchers and a supermarket, as well as in the street.
Follow EU Today on Social media: